California Travel Nursing Requirements

One of the most important parts about travel nursing in California is to make sure you have all the necessary requirements to begin your travel nursing assignment on time.

Here are some of the licensure and certifications that you may need to work as a travel nurse in California:

  • Valid License: Before you start your travel nursing assignment, you will need to obtain a California nursing license. Click here to find out California’s requirements and process for obtaining a license.
  • CPR/BLS/BCLS Certification: Most facilities require this card to be issued by the American Heart Association or the American Red Cross.
  • ACLS Certification: Required for most Critical Care, Labor and Delivery, ER and most Telemetry/Step Down units
  • PALS Certification: Required for most Pediatrics, PICU and ER units.
  • NPR/NALS Certification: Required for most L&D, Nursery and NICU units
  • TNCC Certification: Required for most ER nurses
  • Fetal Monitoring Certification: Required for most Labor and Delivery nurses.


Here is some of the health documentation you may need before starting your travel nursing job in California:

  • Medical Release Form
  • Physician’s Statement
  • Negative PPD or Negative Chest X Ray
  • TB Questionnaire
  • Measles Titer
  • Rubella Titer
  • Mumps Titer
  • Varicella Titer
  • Hepatitis B
  • Fit Test (some California requires staff to wear respirators)